How To Create A Ritual
We engage in ritual all the time. Mostly, this is done for us by our religion and culture. Habits and routines come close but
So, here are some tips to get you started:
- Consciously decide you want to begin, create, sustain, or dissolve something in your life. It might be a commitment to a new way of being. Or, maybe you want to dissolve and forgive some pain you have been carrying. Maybe you just want to create a daily practice where you can just breath and be.
- Create a special environment, a private place where you can be uninterrupted. Gather together some symbolic items that have meaning for you. These might be things like a candle, a symbol from whatever spiritual tradition with which you are aligned, your journal, a string to tie around your finger, incense, music that brings you into your heart, objects to represent the 4 directions or the four elements (air, fire, water, earth). You can see by the list here, we are pointing to items that are important to you.
- Recognize and express gratitude for the
goodnessall around you & and call in your spiritual allies. You will lean into this as you move toward your goal.
- Come into stillness with a few minutes of breath meditation or do some drumming to help move you into a deeper state of consciousness
- Articulate your intention in your journal or say aloud whatever it is you are wanting to activate with this ritual.
- Create accountability by sharing your intention with a trusted friend who can help create accountability for you.
- Close the ritual with a song, or a closing prayer, a chime and/or say “it is done.”
- Journal about your experience & create at least two action steps that will support your intention
This is a very general outline because the sky is the limit! There are so many things you can do! There’s no right and wrong.
Let’s make sure we are conscious of what we are spending our time, energy, and thoughts on what we really want in our lives.
This is Your Life On Purpose!